Preparation time: 25 minutes. Serves: 8
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 French baguette
- Olive oil-water spray or a little olive oil
- 200g (7oz) frozen peas
- 1 tablespoons unsaturated spread
- 1 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- Parsley to garnish
Other Crostini Toppings
- Reduced-fat soft cheese and prawns
- Red or green pesto sauce
- Green olive paste
- Smoked mackerel and chive
- Goats’ cheese
- Tahini Hummus
- Roast the garlic by placing it on a baking sheet and roasting it on the lower shelf in the oven for 45 minutes until the garlic flesh is softened to a puree.
- Meanwhile, to make the Crostini, cut the loaf into 40 slices about ½ – 1cm (¼ – ½ inch) thick. Using an oil-water spray or [pastry brush, lightly coat each side of the bread slices with oil.
- Place the bread slices on a rack and bake in a preheated oven, 200 degrees C (400 degrees F), gas mark 6, for about 5-10 minutes, turning the bread over as it turns pale gold. Remove and allow cooling.
- Cook the peas in boiling water until tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor or blender or mash in a bowl with a fork. Separate the garlic cloves, squeeze out the roasted garlic flesh and add to the peas with the spread and parmesan. Process or mash to a creamy puree. Allow cooling before spreading on to the Crostini. Garnish with parsley or mint, if liked.
Crostini, made with olive oil, follow the beneficial Mediterranean diet rule for a starter or snack. Olive oil is a rich source of monounsaturated and vitamins E. add lots of vegetables to the toppings for extra antioxidant nutrients.
Categories: The Best Recipes of All Times