Understanding bar operations?
A bar s a retail business enterprise that serves beverages, such as beer, wine, liquor, cocktails, and other soft drinks. The term “bar” also refers to the countertop and area where drinks are served. Bars provide stools or chairs that are placed at tables or counters for their patrons. Bars that offer entertainment or live music are often referred to as music bars, live venues, or nightclubs. Types of bars range from a simple lounge to well-designed places of amusement.
Most bars have money off period, selected a “happy hour” to encourage off-peak-time patronage. Bars that fill to capacity sometimes implement a cover charge or a minimum drink purchase requirement during their peak hours. Bars may have bouncers to ensure patrons are of legal age, to eject drunk or belligerent patrons. Such bars often feature entertainment, which may be a live band, vocalist, one-man guitar, or DVD player playing recorded music.
The following is the brand standard applicable to bar service;
Your pledge: To provide a vibrant and entertaining, ambiance in a relaxed setting.
- The customer is acknowledged 30 seconds of arrival with eye contact and a warm friendly smile and a verbal greeting, either by the barman or waiter.
- The guest is asked for his/her preferred sitting location.
- The waiter or barman enthusiastically approaches guests within 30 seconds of seating, offering both cocktail and beverage lists. Promotional items are explained and upsold.
- The guest is invited to place their order.
- Drink orders are served within 3 minutes of ordering. All drinks from bottles are to be poured for the guest. All drinks and bottles set down on clean ‘branded hotel coasters.’
- Crisps/nuts will be given to all guests upon the initial drink order from 6.00 pm.
- The guest will be asked if they wish to order any snacks.
- If any food is ordered, it will be served within 20 minutes of ordering, unless otherwise indicated by the guests.
- Guest satisfaction will be checked within 15 minutes.
- Dessert, tea or coffee will be served within 3 minutes of the order.
- Empty bottles and glasses will be removed immediately.
- Additional drinks are offered every time there is only ¼ of drink remaining in the glass, and empty bottles and glasses will be removed immediately.
- Ashtrays will be cleared with no more than 2 butts in the ashtray at a time.
- Guests will be presented with a correct bill within 4 minutes of request and thanked by name upon payment.
- The change will be returned within 5 minutes of payment.
- On departure, the guest is thanked for patronage and wished a pleasant day/evening.
Categories: QUALITY BRAND STANDARDS