Ensuring that the front office has clear and consistent reservation procedures is one of the best ways to increase a hotel’s efficiency. Reservations are the most reliable revenue stream for hotels, and they affect everything from cash flow projections to staffing. Ensuring that guests get the accommodations when they expect them is the easiest way for a hotel to reduce complaints and increase guest satisfaction.
Customers call to request rooms for a particular place and time. Reservation clerks should provide a brief description of the facilities. The description should recount the bed size and number of beds in the room along with any special accommodations included.
A critical part of any hotel reservation procedure is to note special requests so they are properly accommodated. Hotel reservations are meant to prevent a hotel from being oversold, making sure that potential guests understand the reservation cancellation policies. Reservation procedures should direct front office clerks to make these clear to the guest before completing the reservation. A good reservation procedure includes instructions about parking and any associated fees as well as the availability of airport and public ground transportation.
As a Reservation manager or hotel proprietor, you must pledge what your guests should expect in terms of booking inquiry and processing. The following is an illustration of hotel reservation brand standards.
Your pledge: To provide Friendly, accurate and timely service.
- If the guest has not stayed in the hotel before, the hotel’s location and unique features are enthusiastically explained.
- Once a booking date is given, the team member describes the different room types to interest the guest in a possible up selling i.e. deluxe/suites/premier rooms.
- Reservations staff will have detailed knowledge about hotel’s bedrooms, dining and entertainment facilities as well as facilities and features of other hotel branches.
- All booking details are repeated back to the guest at the end of the conversation to make sure the communication is 100% clear.
- Before placing a caller on hold, staff will ask for permission to do so and specify the reason for doing so and wait for the response.
- If calls are placed on hold, contact is made every forty seconds offering the caller the choice of remaining on hold, leaving a message or receiving a callback. Callers who are transferred to a different department will be advised on whom they are being connected to and a connection received with the extension before replacing the receiver so as to ensure that the guest gets attention. Calls will not be screened.
- If no rooms are available at the hotel due to occupancy, reservations staff will recommend options including different types of rooms, alternative dates or wait for listing or another hotel nearby of the same standard as the last resort.
- All email inquiries shall be responded to and auctioned generally within 15 minutes of seeing them in the box; however, if an email comes in outside of normal working hours, like 4:00 am it should be responded to within a maximum of 12 hours.
- Airport transfer information will be maintained in a clear and concise manner and this information relayed to the drivers.
Reservation being the initial contact point for guests, a hotel without one is like a lake without a tributary that rejuvenates its power and strength. Reservations play a key role in linking clients to the properties.
Categories: HOSPITALITY BRAND STANDARDS