Managing your time;
Time management is the process of organizing and planning how to divide your time between specific activities. Good time management enables you to work smarter not harder so that you get more done in less time, even when the time is tight and pressures are high. Failure to manage your time damages your effectiveness and causes stress.
The main objective of time management brand standards is to create greater awareness of the importance of time management as a means of increasing work efficiency.
Why are you employed?
You are employed to assist your organization to achieve its goals and objectives.
What is work?
a) Work is any human activity involving the use of both mental and physical energy with an aim of achieving a specific goal. This may be:
- Self-satisfaction and fulfillment
- Personal development
- To acquire the basic essentials of life
- To give life direction, meaning, and dignity
- To acquire wealth and status in the society
- To socialize.
Time v/s work management
- Time management is part of work management
- You cannot manage your work without managing your time
Nature of time
- To everything, there is a season,
- And time for every purpose under heaven,
- A time to be born, a time to die,
- Time to plant, a time to reap,
- A time to break down, and a time to build,
- A time to weep, a time to laugh,
- Time to mourn, a time to dance,
- Time to keep silent, a time to speak
What is time?
- Time is a precious possession given equally to every individual. No one has a larger store than anyone else. You may be shorter than others, you may have fewer years of experience than some of your peers, but you always have exactly the same amount of time that is available to anyone else.
- Time can be defined according to its nature, according to the way it is measured, or according to the way, it is used.
Importance of time management:
- Poor or ineffective use of time can significantly reduce the level of success achieved by an organization.
- Time is the second resource in the importance to people. Managers should, therefore, learn to make most effective use of time.
- Attending a course on time management or listening to one talk about time management does not produce excellent time managers.
- Individuals must identify time problems, take ownership of such problems and commit self to ensuring that new ideas work to overcome the problem.
Self – discipline is a must.
Common time wasters in our organization:
a) Definition of time wasters
- Time waters are the things or situations which hinders us from achieving stated organizational goals.
b) Top ten time wasters
- Poor communication
- Losing things/poor filling system
- Lack of discipline
- Poor delegation
- Unplanned meetings
Planning your day
- C = compile a list of intended activities
- L = learn to prioritize
- E = estimate time
- A = allow flexibility
- R = review the day
Symptoms of poor time management:
- Never have time to do the really important work,
- Devoting too much time to the urgent rather than important tasks,
- Frequently staying late in the office,
- Taking work at home,
- Rarely having time to keep up with paperwork,
- Doing the work of others,
- Feeling indispensable,
- Attending too many meetings,
- Letting others dictate how you use your time,
- Rarely completing work on time,
- Having difficulties in saying NO.
The overall productivity of staffs in the hospitality establishments is dependent on how they manage their time individually and as a team. Good time management practices enhance the overall productivity and output of staffs and vice versa.
Categories: Hospitality Brand Standard