Understanding the standards;
The Food & Beverage brand standards is a clear step by step well-documented and prepared F & B operation tasks and procedures mostly focused on guest service issues, for prospective and current Managers seeking information the technical aspects and ground rules of F&B operating procedures. Tasks and procedures are arranged in a logical sequence and broken down into small units that provide you with standards that have been identified for each task. And it mostly focuses on guest service issues.
The Food and Beverage brand standards will go a long way to effectively and efficiently maintain the highest standard of professional ethics. It consists of very comprehensive standards and works ethics guide, which is clear and straight enough for your waiters to memorize and deliver them consistently and effectively in their daily service interaction.
6.1 Restaurant: F&B/REST
- F&B/REST/001 – All restaurants at the hotel brand during their operating hours will be maintained in a clean and hygienic condition with a refreshing and inviting ambiance, appropriate levels of lighting and ventilation and all items of furniture, fixtures, and equipment in the restaurant to be in proper working condition.
- F&B/REST/002 – All guests will be met by an associate upon entering hotel brand restaurant by making eye contact, smiling, verbally welcoming the guest and will be escorted and seated within 2 minutes of arrival.
- F&B/REST/003 – All tables will be properly set, prior to a guest being seated.
- F&B/REST/004 – An associate will present Food & Beverage menu and introduce him/herself to the guest within one minute of the guest being seated. At this point the associate will also invite the guest to place the beverage order, making suggestions if required.
- F&B/REST/005 – All restaurant associates will have comprehensive knowledge of all items in the food, beverage and wine menu.
- F&B/REST/006 – Beverage will be served within 5 minutes of an order being placed at which time the guest will be invited to place the Food order or visit the buffet.
- F&B/REST/007 – The associate will offer to suggest items to a guest including accompanying wines, will repeat the order and advice the guest on the approximate time to deliver. This will apply to Food and Beverage orders.
- F&B/REST/008 – All starters and desserts will be served within 10 minutes of placing an order and all main courses served within 25 minutes. If an item is going to take longer to serve, the guest will be advised accordingly.
- F&B/REST/009 – All Food and Beverage orders will be served at the appropriate temperatures and presented as per laid out specifications.
- F&B/REST/010 – During the course of meal experience, associates will maintain eye contact with the guest and anticipate guest’s needs and requirements of service.
- F&B/REST/011 – While the last course is being cleared, the waiter will inquire if the guest would like to order anything else, whether he has enjoyed his meal and whether he would like his bill.
- F&B/REST/012 – A guest must be thanked for his patronage upon departure and be escorted to the exit of the Restaurant.
6.2 Bars: F&B/BAR
- F&B/BAR/001 – All bars at hotel brands during their operating hours will be maintained in a clean and hygienic condition with a refreshing and inviting ambiance, appropriate levels of lighting and ventilation and all items of furniture, fixtures, and equipment in the bar to be in proper working condition.
- F&B/BAR/002 – All merchandising and promotional items will be displayed appropriately within the bar.
- F&B/BAR/003 – All guests will be acknowledged by an associate upon entering a hotel brand bar by making eye contact and smiling and will be escorted and seated within 2 minutes of arrival, either at the bar or in a smoking or non-smoking section at their preferred choice.
- F&B/BAR/004 – A bar associate will present the snack and beverage menu and introduce him/herself to the guest within one minute of the guest being seated. At this point the associate will also invite the guest to place the beverage order, making suggestions if required.
- F&B/BAR/005 – All bar associates will have comprehensive knowledge of all items in the food, beverage, wine and cocktail menus.
- F&B/BAR/006 – The beverage order will be taken and dispensed within three minutes, in the appropriate glass and appropriate temperature accompanied with bar biting.
- F&B/BAR/007 – The bar associate will engage guests sitting at the counter on a light friendly conversation without intruding in their privacy, while constantly replenishing their drinks upon the guest’s approval.
- F&B/BAR/008 – During the time at the bar, associates will maintain regular eye contact and anticipate guests’ needs and requirements of service.
- F&B/BAR/009 – The associate will inquire if the guest would like additional drinks and if not, the associates would then present the bill.
- F&B/BAR/010 – A guest must be thanked for his patronage upon departure.
6.3 Room Service: F&B/RMS
- F&B/RMS/001 – All phone calls will be received within three rings and an apology offered if not. Associates will introduce themselves mentioning the department and standard greeting. Ascertain the guest name, room number and where necessary use the name. Sample – “Thank you for calling room service, John speaking, how may I help you?”
- F&B/RMS/002 – Associates will have comprehensive knowledge of the room service menu and beverages on offer at different meal periods. Any special requests will be accommodated and if not possible appropriate alternatives offered. Orders must be repeated to guests for confirmation and anticipated time of delivery. (30 minutes). The guest will always be thanked for calling room service before hanging up the call.
- F&B/RMS/003 – In case of any delay, the guest will be informed and an approximated time of delivery mentioned.
- F&B/RMS/004 – All room service orders will be delivered on a clean tray, with the standard set-up and a tray collection/information card.
- F&B/RMS/005 – Knock twice/ or ring the doorbell announcing the department and wait for a response. Guests shall be greeted with a flash smile and eye contact, mentioning his/her name. Confirm, explain the order and present the bill for settlement. Wish the guest “Bon appetite” and leave the room closing the door behind you.
- F&B/RMS/006 – Trays hall be picked from the room 5 minutes after the guest has requested for the same.
6.4 Banqueting and Conferencing: F&B/BANQ
- F&B/BANQ/001 – All phone calls will be received within three rings and an apology offered if not. All associates will introduce themselves mentioning the department and standard greeting. Ascertain the guest name and use it as often as possible.
- F&B/BANQ/002 – All banqueting function requirement should be clearly established when taking the booking. Details of contact person will be taken for a follow-up. All clients will be invited to view the various facilities and amenities the hotel offers.
- F&B/BANQ/003 – The booking shall be tentatively charted in the conference diary giving options of an alternative date whenever there is no room available on the particular date or the client will be referred to the hotel brand properties.
- F&B/BANQ/004 – A follow up should be done 7 days (one week) prior to the function date. A deposit paid or an LPO issued upon confirmation. All the required equipment will be confirmed and a contract signed.
- F&B/BANQ/005 – Confirmation of the requirements as requested by the organizer shall be discussed two days prior to the function. A brief on security, fire and safety procedures within the establishment shall be highlighted; transport, airport transfers, signage, restaurants and special dietary issues will also be discussed with the same.
- F&B/BANQ/006 – The banqueting manager will meet the organizer on the function day to ascertain clients’ satisfaction.
- F&B/BANQ/007 – Banqueting coordinators will liaise with the organizer to promote excursions, cocktails, and special dinners.
- F&B/BANQ/008 – Accurate invoices will be processed and delivered to the organizer for settlement within seven days after the end of the function. A thank you letter will be sent to the organizer for their patronage and further inviting them to use our services again.
Food and beverage department is the pillar for guests wellbeing in the hospitality industry. It serves the purpose of energizing and rejuvenating the body to enhance guest’s stay on the property. Food and beverage products being prone to bacteria, strict care must be taken in to account to ensure that hygiene and safety measures are in place to avoid contamination. Hence the need for food and beverage brand standards that emphasize on how the same should be delivered to customers promptly.
Categories: HOSPITALITY BRAND STANDARDS