The importance of housekeeping department in the hospitality industry;
Housekeeping department plays an important in the hospitality industry. One of the most important elements to success in hotels is how clean their rooms are kept. Guests are unlikely to return to a hotel that isn’t clean, and even less likely to recommend it to other people. Most hotels avoid this by following certain hotel housekeeping operating procedures that ensure every room is clean and safe for guests
- HK/RM/001 – All the hotel’s guestroom corridors will be clean, well lit, tidy and free from obstruction.
- HK/RM/002 – All guest room doors will free from marks, well-polished, function smoothly and be in good condition.
- HK/RM/003 – All rooms will be fresh, odor free and well ventilated.
- HK/RM/004 – All window and door locks will operate smoothly and lock securely.
- HK/RM/005 – Carpeted flooring throughout the room will be well vacuumed, free from stain and in good condition.
- HK/RM/006 – Walls and ceilings will be clean, well painted and free from cracks.
- HK/RM/007 – Furniture will be clean, well-polished, and free from cracks and well positioned.
- HK/RM/008 – Windows and glass doors will be completely clean.
- HK/RM/009 – All shelves and drawers will be free of dust, debris and be in good condition.
- HK/RM/010 – All bed linen will be clean, fresh and in good condition.
- HK/RM/011 – All rooms will have all the necessary room collateral as per the unit.
- HK/RM/012 – All hotel brands will provide guests with evening services.
- HK/RM/013 – Bathrooms will be hygienically clean, dry and tidy with adequate guest supplies.
- HK/RM/014 – All lighting and lampshades will be in good working condition and clean respectively.
- HK/RM/015 – Mirrors will be spotlessly clean, free of chips, lint, and marks.
- HK/RM/016 – All ‘Do Not Disturb’ rooms should be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
- HK/RM/017 – All occupied rooms will be serviced by 1500 hours, unless upon guest request.
- HK/RM/018 – All guests’ property will be handled with care and due consideration of the privacy of the guest.
- HK/RM/019 – All pantries will be clean dry and tidy.
- HK/RM/020 – All guest rooms will offer a range of television channels including news, sports, and entertainment.
- HK/RM/021 – The tea/coffee making facilities should be very clean, neatly arranged and well stocked in the unit standards.
Public area: HK/PA
- HK/PA/001 – The parking perimeter will be clean with all the drainage system working.
- HK/PA/002 – The gardens and lawns will be well kept.
- HK/PA/003 – All walls will be clean, free of marks, dust, and cobwebs.
- HK/PA/004 – The main door will be firmly fixed, clean, polished and left open.
- HK/PA/005 – All the floors will be spotlessly clean, free of litter and dust.
- HK/PA/006 – Floral arrangements will be fresh, well presented and well positioned as per the unit specification.
- HK/PA/007 – House phones will be clean and neatly placed.
- HK/PA/008 – All upholstery covers will be clean and in good condition.
- HK/PA/009 – All signage will be clean, well-polished and visible.
- HK/PA/010 – Wall pictures will be dust free, freely hanging and properly positioned.
- HK/PA/011 – All lighting and lampshades will be in good working condition.
- HK/PA/012 – The ceiling will be clean, free of cracks and well painted.
- HK/PA/013 – All guest elevators will be clean, well lit, in good working condition with adverts well placed.
- HK/PA/014 – All elevators will be clean, well lit and in good working condition.
- HK/PA/015 – Washrooms will be free from odor at all times.
- HK/PA/016 – The main washroom door will be clean, well-polished and free from scratches.
- HK/PA/017 – Door stoppers will be present and well-fixed in all public washrooms.
- HK/PA/018 – All washrooms will be spotlessly clean, free from odor, all guest amenities present and fixtures in good working condition.
- HK/PA/019 – All guest corridor fixtures will be in good working condition.
- HK/PA/020 – All guestroom corridors will be clean, well lit, signage visible and free from obstruction.
- HK/PA/021 – All furniture along guest corridors will be wee-polished and positioned according to the unit specification.
- HK/PA/022 – All the main doors of conference rooms will be free from marks, well-polished, function smoothly and be in good condition.
- HK/PA/023 – All curtains will be clean, all hooks present, hanging correctly according to the unit specification and in good condition.
- HK/PA/024 – All fixtures in the conference rooms will be clean and free of dust.
- HK/PA/025 – All back to house areas will be well cleaned, well lit and free from obstruction.
- HK/PA/026 – All restaurants will be clean and tidy with all fixtures in good working condition.
- HK/PA/027 – All staircases will be clean, well lit and free from obstruction.
Laundry and linen: HK/LL
- HK/LL/001 – Pressing services will be available between 0700 hours and 2300 hours.
- HK/LL/002 – Laundry services will be available between 100 hours and 1800 hours.
- HK/LL/003 – Mending services will be offered upon guest request.
- HK/LL/004 – All delivered guest laundry will be neatly placed on the guest’s bed.
- HK/LL/005 – All staff uniforms will be clean, well pressed and in good condition.
- HK/LL/006 – All linen must be clean, well-pressed and in good condition.
- HK/LL/007 – All linen rooms will be clean, tidy, well ventilated at all times and fixtures in good working condition.
- HK/LL/008 – All pantries will be well stocked and neatly arranged.
- HK/LL/009 – All linen will be sorted according to color, texture, and how heavy the linen is soiled.
- HK/LL/010 – All laundry machines will be clean and in good working condition.
- HK/LL/011 – All laundry staff will be informed of safety precautions to avoid accidents.
- HK/LL/012 – All cleaning will be done using the correct, properly measured detergent.
Hospitality managers/proprietors should work hard to ensure that the housekeeping department is meeting and exceeding customer expectations throughout their stay in hotels.
Categories: HOSPITALITY BRAND STANDARDS